Click on the Visiting Orphans tab to read more about who, what, when, where, and how:

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ruby and Willow


And then there were children in the orphanage who didn’t get to play. It was such a joy to pull the crib-bound children out of their cribs, place them on play mats on the floor, and allow them to stretch their limbs and see different sights. Sadly, there were some who were even beyond that simple pleasure.

Ruby is an older girl, I would guess her age to be late teens, possibly even 20? We were told she did walk a little when she came to the orphanage, but at this point in her life, she either sits on the side of the bed or lies down. I was told she does not walk at all. While we were there, she seemed to be in pain. We were told she was suffering from kidney stones. Bless her heart. That condition would be miserable in the best of circumstances, but precious Ruby isn’t living in the best of circumstances. She has a single bed in a room surrounded by other kiddos who have equally dreary circumstances. She didn’t get to enjoy our team coming in and taking her to another room. No laughter for dear Ruby. I suspect she stays in her bed even more than the others simply because she has the body size of a near-adult and would be very difficult for the nannies to lift and handle. I can tell you, she had back rubs. She was prayed over. She was spoken to. Those simple acts don’t seem like much, but I am putting my faith and trust in the Lord that He stepped in when it was more than we could do to comfort her. My prayer is that her days were brightened while we were there and that she would continue to feel the Lord’s love through the coming days.


There was another child who pulled so strongly at my heart strings. I have no idea if the child is a boy or a girl. (Their hair is all clipped very short to enable the nannies to take care of it a little more easily). I chose to call this child Willow. I close my eyes and see the branches of a willow tree, how they bend so gracefully. My little Willow’s limbs are so bent and stiff, they won't bend. I would think she is in continual pain. Imagine, if you will, that you are lying on your side with your leg thrown as far over your body as your hip joints would allow. Then take that position and turn so your back is lying flat on the crib. That is Willow’s life.

The first day we walked in, the team went to the cribs to say hello to the children. Willow just lay very still and cried. I walked over and began stroking her forehead, cheek, and down her neck. She quieted and seemed peaceful. I asked one of the nannies if I could pull her from her bed. The nanny gave me permission. I motioned to the nanny and asked if I needed help because the child was so twisted, I feared I would hurt her by picking her up. The nanny didn’t offer her assistance, so I reached down and picked up this little slip of a girl. Her limbs didn’t give at all as I picked her up. Her little joints and bones were frozen in place. I took her over, sat on the nannies bed, and began rocking her while singing over her. She relaxed and would almost fall asleep, then she would open her eyes and watch me as I cuddled her. I think she wanted to enjoy the feeling of being loved as long as she could. She did finally drift off to sleep and I placed her back in her bed. This child is a prisoner in her own little body with stiff aching joints. I trust some day when the Lord takes her home, she can discard that body that refuses to move and enjoy eternity in a new body that will move with the grace and ease of a willow tree swaying in the wind.


I pray these two will remember our loving hands and that the Lord’s love will comfort them long after we have walked away from the orphanage.

1 comment:

  1. We called her Roberta last year after mistaking lay calling her Robert for a couple days! She is far worse than last year, which was the first year she was there. I would be surprised to see her next year, which wouldn't bother me if she was in a better place!

    ReplyDelete

We look forward to reading your words of encouragement and love!